As the Winter Solstice approaches, enjoy a picture of a girl taking a winter whirl…
Archive for the ‘Ypsilanti’ Category
The city of Ypsilanti, Michigan in the United States – founded in 1825, during the Greek struggle for independence – is named after Demetrios. A bust of him stands between American and Greek flags at the base of the landmark Ypsilanti Water Tower, as you can see above.
A member of an important Phanariote family, Demetrios Ypsilantis (Δημήτριος Υψηλάντης) was the second son of Prince Constantine Ypsilantis of Moldavia. He was sent to France where he was educated at a French military school. He then distinguished himself as a Russian officer in the campaign of 1814. And in 1821, he lead a Greek rebellion in Moldavia that indirectly benefited the Principalities (of Moldavia and Wallachia).
In 1821, Ypsilantis went to the Morea, where the Greek War of Independence had just broken out. He was one of the most conspicuous of the Phanariote leaders during the early stages of the revolt, though he was much hampered by the local chiefs and by the civilian element headed by Prince Alexander Mavrocordatos. As a result, the organisation of a regular army was slowed and operations were limited.
On 15 January 1822, he was elected president of the legislative assembly. However, due to the failure of his campaign in central Greece, and his failure to obtain a commanding position in the national convention of Astros, he was compelled to retire in 1823.
In 1828, he was appointed by Ioannis Kapodistrias as commander of the troops in eastern Greece. On 25 September 1829, he successfully compelled the Turkish commander Aslan Bey to capitulate at the Pass of Petra, thus ending the active operations of the war.
~ via Wikipedia
The Caboose of Depot Town in Ypsilanti, Michigan – located near Frog Island and Riverside Park in Ypsilanti, the Caboose has been a small fixture in the town for decades. It is a remnant of the original Michigan Central Depot, from which the area took its name. The freighthouse, built in 1878, does still stand, and the area immediately around the freighthouse is home to the Depot Town Farmers’ Market. But outside of the market is where this little caboose still stands.